I am wondering if we have to have a certain format when we post on the blog, and if so, what is it? I just want to make sure before I begin posting.
When you write blog posts, please keep the following things in mind:
- WordPress supports "categories". These are a little bit like tags. Use them as if they were.
- If you're writing something big, use Read More tags (
<!--more-->). These prevent people from thinking "it's long" and abandoning it while, if used correctly, enticing them to read further without overwhelming them.
- Use correct English. This doesn't mean you need to change dialect, but it does mean:
- Spell things correctly. You can write "color" or "colour", but don't write "culler".
- Use correct grammar. This is a little trickier. Use punctuation correctly, use words in the right place, don't confuse homonyms, use "e.g." for examples and "i.e." for clarification, etc.
- However you spell "television programmes" and "programmes for a performance", it's "computer program". You should strive for "programming" and "programmed" as well, but this is not neccesary.
- Above all, be consistent! Don't change style or dialect mid-way through a post.
- Make your posts as informative, useful and interesting as possible. We want people to actually read our blog, even if they're not experts in the field.
Cite your claims. Provide references to claims you make (where relevant). You can do this by placing
<sup><a href="#citation-1"></a></sup>(change the number as appropriate) just after the clause you want to cite, and the following at the end of your post:
<hr /> Citations: <p style="font-size: small;"> <span id="citation-1">: <a href="//example.com/page/">http://example.com/page/</a></span> </p>
This should be done in raw (HTML) mode to prevent escaping of the markup.