Our tags for various CPU families and architectures are a bit of a mess right now because we're using a lot of different conventions for them:
- Just the number: 6502, 65816, 6809, 8080, z80.
- Manufacturer name and number, separated with a hyphen: motorola-68000, motorola-680x0, rca-1802.
- Some sort of abbreviation: m68k.
Is it worth trying to standardize on something for this and clean up our current tags (presumably adding tag synonyms where necessary)? If you think we shouldn't clean up the tags, please do post that or upvote a posting saying that so it's not confused with no vote meaning "I don't care what anybody does with the tags."
Other answers ideally should be specific proposals for cleaning up the tags. As well as suggesting a tag format, it would be good to discuss how you propose to deal with other specific issues.
A particular one is CPU families.
680x0 is pretty easy, but what about the family that includes the 8080, 8085 and Z80, but not the 8086 or 8088? Even more fun is Motorola and Hitachi CPUs with the 68nn designations; that's complex enough that I've summarized it at the end of this post.
By the way, I used "just the number" format for the new
6800 tag I just created not becuase I have any particular preference for it, but because that's what's most of the other 1970s 8-bit CPUs are using. I have no objection to replacing it with a different format, so long as it's clear it's about 6800-family (and not 6809-family) CPUs.
Motorola and Hitachi 68xx CPUs:
These consist of two different major families, the 6800 and 6809, with entirely different opcodes. Within each family there are:
- "Variants," which do not change the CPU architecture.
- "Extensions" that change the CPU architecture compatibly.
- "Modifications" that change the CPU architecture incompatibly (some old opcodes no longer work the same way) but not so greatly it becomes a new major family (arguably).
Here's a (very) abbreviated tree to give the general idea (also see 6800 for more):
- 6800: Major family - 6802: variant; 6808 similar variant - 6801: extension of 6800; 6803 similar - 6811: extension of 6801 - 68711, 68811 variants (field-programmable ROM) - 6805: modification of 6800 (not fully compatible) - M14605: CMOS variant - 68705: variant (field-programmable ROM) - 6808: extension that becomes compatible w/6800 again (!) - 6809: Major family - Hitachi 6309 extends 6809