I've been dragging my feet on this as much as the rest of us, but we really need to get around to writing our Help Center articles. I last asked about this over a year ago, and whilst there were some suggestions, I didn't follow through with them *ahem*.
Over the next few weeks, we're going to sort out what should be on each Help Center page. If it needs to be changed at a later date, a new question can be opened to discuss specific changes, but we need something there to guide new users that isn't buried in 200 pages of Meta.
To start us off, I've put together something using stuff from the following pages:
- Oded's placeholder on-topic page (link doesn't work; here for completeness)
- Chenmunka's answer to What topics can I ask around here? (which itself uses some text from the original Area 51 proposal)
- Chenmunka's other answer to What topics can I ask around here? (unfortunately that section of the Help Center is not editable)
Some ideas for things to add:
- A list of on-topic things and off-topic things (e.g. Colossus v.s. iPhone X)
- Further reading links
- A rule of thumb for guessing whether something's on-topic, and what to do if you're not sure (Hint: Meta)