Our tagging scheme for tags relating to Tandy computers is incomplete and inconsistent. Yesterday I started the discussion thread, New [trs-80] tag conundrum . An earlier thread exists for the Color Computer -- Tag Discussion: coco or color-computer . wizzwizz4 suggested we have a vote-type proposal, which is what this thread is. (His suggestion also included a second (third?) thread specifically for the Color Computer, but for reasons which will hopefully become clear, I don't think we need it, but if folks disagree, I'll write one.)
First, let's start with pre-existing tags:
trs-80-model-iii (two uses, one of them yesterday
trs-80 (three uses, created by me yesterday)
tandy-1000 (three uses)
color-computer (eighteen uses)
coco (four uses)
I had thought simply by creating the trs-80 tag, it would support the z80 family of TRS-80 Models I, II, III, and 4. However, the Model II turned out to be a separate animal to the other 3, which were inexpensive home/educational machines. The Model II and its descendants turned out to be a different animal, very expensive business machines, with the daughter models eventually offering a 68000 CPU and Unix.)
- Create the following tags:
trs-80-model-1-family, with description stating it supports Model I, Model III, and Model 4
trs-80-model-2-family, with description stating it supports the Model II, Model 12, Model 16B, and the "Tandy 6000"
trs-80-color-computer, name matching Tandy's actual name . Supports the Color Computer 1, 2, and 3 (there was no "Model" in their names)
- Delete the following tags, first editing existing threads to use one of the above:
trs-80 (I just made it yesterday, so it has no history)
trs-80-model-iii (until yesterday, it had only been used once)
- Convert the following tags to synonyms for trs-80-color-computer
- Edit the description for tandy-1000. It currently is written to support all models of Tandy IBM "compatibles". However, the Tandy 1000 was a better clone of the IBM PCjr. Tandy's normal (AT class) IBM compatible was their Tandy 2000 (which for some reason, preceded the Tandy 1000). The three pre-existing questions for tandy-1000 were specifically for the PCjr clone machine. Also, it appears no one has ever asked a question concerning the Tandy 2000. I guess we would need to create a new tandy-2000 tag should anyone do so.
- I have sufficient privilege and willingness to do this. I think it will take less time than I spent writing this proposal.
- See yesterday's thread for discussion about Roman vs Arabic numerals. There appears to be consensus that since Tandy was inconsistent, we should be. Also, some society's appear not to recognize lower-case roman numerals anyway.
- All new and remaining tags have consistent manufacturer-model form. The manufacturer in "TRS" is Tandy Radio Shack. The synonyms will allow for popular names to be supported, such as "CoCo".
6 Days Later
Is 2 votes and 25 views enough to proceed?