There is a system-wide plan to test lower voting threshholds. The full details are here on Meta SE. In brief:
- Reputation required to cast upvotes is changing from 15 to 1
- Reputation required to cast downvotes is changing from 125 to 1
- The 1 reputation cost to downvote answers will be removed
I propose that Retrocomputing should not join the low rep voting experiment.
- Upvote this question to agree that it's a bad idea to join
- Downvote this question to suggest that we should join the experiment
The powers that be are asking for sites to volunteer. I just want to state for the record here that I am very much against this idea. The numbers can (and maybe should) be tweaked a bit, but allowing totally new users to vote without any other interaction is, in my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen. I encourage others to upvote this and/or to write an answer with more coherent arguments, so that it can be clear where this site stands on this policy.
And if this is the wrong way to do this, let me know. But since they are looking for sites to volunteer for testing, I think it is important to discuss.